When a new client comes to me very often they start the conversation by saying something along the lines of “I need PR help.” or “I want a press release writing”. Both are reasonable requests. I then asking them “What do you want to achieve?” Very often they respond that they want people to know about x, y or z.
But the question what do you want to achieve? Is bigger than it may first appear. As a business tackling PR think about what you want any PR or marketing activity to result in. Do you want:
- To increase footfall to a venue
- Increase sales of a product or service
- Get more enquiries about the service/product you offer
- To convert viewers to buyers
- Drive more people to your website
- Just generally raise awareness of what you offer
Your answer to this question will determine how the PR strategy is executed and what calls to action are made in any releases, marketing and/or social media.